Monday, August 22, 2011

So You Want to Start your Tree




Family Trees are not that hard with todays internet. There are tons of Genealogy sites on the internet. Most offer a free start up package. If you get stuck on a branch there are genealogist  who will help you out. Some for a price, and some will do it for free. 
I personally use about 15 genealogy sites. 
Which would I recommend?


The one I use the most is Ancestry.com. You can start your Family Tree there for free. They do have some free searches, but if you want to dig deep (more records) you will have to be a paying member. If you choose that, they offer a free 14 day trial, but be sure and call them to cancel before the 14th day. The second site I use the most is FamilySearch.org it is totally free. 
  One thing you will run into is a broken tree branch. There are some of my family members only a couple of generations back that I can not find. As my dad use to tell me "If a person doesn't  want to be found, you will not find them." You have to take in to consideration that back in the 1800's some peoples birth information was not recorded. Or the Family surname was spelled different. My Great grandfather Tobias Batson is a broken branch in my family. It seems just about every record I can find on him he spells his first name different, along with giving a different birth year and what state he was born in. ( I think he knew I would go looking for him!)
So what are you waiting for? Google  " Family Tree " and start digging!
 Do you have a story you would like to share?
 Need help finding a long lost relative?
Drop me a line.


Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment